Monday, September 06, 2004

A Terrible Evening

I don't know if I'm going to survive the next seven and a half months of my sister's pregnancy. She is seriously reminding the world she is pregnant every 15 minutes.

Tonight I had dinner at the home of a family friend, along with my parents, my sister and BIL, and my BIL's parents. Unfortunately, my dh was stuck working out of town in Iowa this holiday weekend. When we sat down after dinner out of my Dad's mouth popped the jovial statement, "Let's come up with some names for the baby." As if that wasn't bad enough, he threw out "Constantine Anastasia" as if he thought it was hilarious. Then my sister's dh started in with his feelings on Russian names. Never mind the fact that I actually told my parents years ago that my dh and I had decided we would like to name a daughter Anastasia. Then there is the fact that if my dh and I adopt we would choose to adopt from Russia. It was all I could do not to cry. Then, someone mentioned that August went by so fast, and my sister actually said that was okay with her that all of the months of her pregnancy could just fly by fast. This was after hearing her complain about all of the Tylenol and Maalox she is having to take.

Amidst all of this my sister's MIL had to broach the topic that Bush wants to make adoption an easier process. My sister actually started in, as if she would have half a clue about adoption. They were complaining that the process is so expensive that people were adopting internationally instead. If I had been up for causing a stir I would have told them how completely uneducated they were about the adoption process, but since I love the people who were hosting the dinner I behaved.

Maybe I'm being to sensitive, but I thought it was just awful. My sister is six years younger than me, and they know I've been trying! I can't believe they would just go on and on about such topics after dinner. Apparently they have no idea what emotions come along with IF.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Jen ~ I'm so sorry you had to sit through all of that. Some people just don't understand. {{{{HUGS}}}}

5:14 PM  
Blogger bethee said...

Being an adoptee myself, I completely understand your point of view. I'm sorry you had to deal with all that, but please feel free to post your real feelings. I'm honored that you are sharing them here.

People who are so closed minded regarding adoption can have their minds changed. I never said a thing to my in-laws, but within a year, they had all changed their minds regarding adoption from "Never" to "Yes".

If you ever need to vent, please let me know.

Bee/Bethee from the ducks.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen,

I'm sorry that you had to sit through that. I'm sorry too that your family wasn't more sensitive to your feelings.
Hugs,
Soosh

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home