Sunday, March 13, 2005

Awkward Social Situations

My husband and I have been trying to decide what we are going to do for Easter in a couple of weeks. Since both of our parents now live only about a mile away, this is a real dilemma. My sister-in-law M has made such an ass of herself as of late that I feel a strong urge to vomit whenever I'm in the same room with her. It doesn't help that they have just put their current home on the market, and are about to move into a subdivision a mile away themselves.

Dh was suggesting that we do Easter with my parents, since it could very well be the last holiday we can bear spending with them since my sister is expecting in a month. That just doesn't seem like a possibility now.

Today we had dinner with my parents. Of course, they invited my sister and BIL as well. At the same time we walked into the door of their house, my mother was mentioning that M had transferred her church membership to the church they attend today. This was not a good beginning.

You see, back in January, M took every opportunity to give me the cold shoulder at multiple social functions. This really wouldn't bother me so terribly, if it weren't for the fact she was also being rude to my friends. For example, we were stranded at the same Super Bowl party together. Dh's brother of course came to sit at the same table with dh and I, alone with some of our friends. She sat sideways in the chair: not facing the TV, BIL, or the table for the entire first half. At half time she faced the table only because she was eating, and I bet her back was starting to hurt. On our way to get our food, I discreetly joked with my friend that perhaps we should tell her that it would be okay to turn her chair around so she wouldn't hurt her back. Anyway, my sister and M are becoming the best of buds. What a great person for my sister to consider a role model. (insert sarcasm here)

The situation with M is only made more complicated by the fact that her husband invited my best friend to come home with him after a ball in January, and told my best friend's husband that he could take home M. Apparently BIL and M don't have such a happy marriage after all.

I'm tired of being the only one to play nice. I try to start a conversation with M every time our paths cross, only for her to ignore me. However, I don't want the general public or dh's family to accuse me of being the cold hearted daughter-in-law.

If it isn't bad enough that my own sister can't understand how my sister-in-law makes me ill, my parents once again said today that I need to just get over the grudges I have against M now that she is in the family. I'm horrified that they can't empathise with me when I am their own daughter.

My sister completely ignored me today, even though I made my usual point to start a pleasant conversation. I'm starting to feel like a second class citizen in her eyes and my parents eyes just because I can't get pregnant. I can only hope that part of her silence is that she has such a guilty conscience for getting knocked up in two months flat.

I'm trying to convince dh that we should just go to the beach for Easter. I think I'll get a new Easter bikini and skip the Easter dress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home