Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Dipping a Toe into the IVF Whirlwind

Yesterday T and I had our IVF classes. We started the day with a two hour class with the embryologist and four other couples. We were given the details about her job, good eggs, bad eggs, ICSI, embryo quality, and an assortment of extras that could be added on in the lab depending upon how things look. We were all a bit overwhelmed, except for the two husbands who went to sleep during the class. Unfortunately, the embryologist didn't have a lot of concern for our privacy and she asked everyone what their diagnosis was and then informed us of the offices statistics for that category, as if we were unable to look that up for ourselves. Out of my class my dh and I had the lowest odds of success with mild endometriosis and severe MFI. Interestingly, the mild endometriosis was the worst statistically.

After the meeting with the embryologist dh and I met with the office manager to discuss the $$$$. My insurance covers some parts of the cycle, such as blood work and ultrasounds, but we will still be paying at least $9,250 out of pocket for the procedure.

Next, we met with the nurse. She gave us a rough outline of our protocol minus dosages and called in the meds. Fortunately, she gave us a pack of bcps, a box of Pergonal, and two boxes of Gonal-F. My mind is just spinning knowing that I will have to keep up with a grand total of eleven prescription meds over the coming weeks. The IVF cocktail includes bcps, antibiotics, Lupron, Gonal-F, Pergonal, Ovidrel HCG, Valium, Estrogen Patches, Progesterone in Oil, anti-rejection meds, and Prenatal vitamins thrown in to increase optimism.

Dh had to endure the rigors of yet another s/a and part of the sample will be frozen for "insurance." Poor guy!

We had an entire hour and a half for lunch. We ran out and I ate something very salty since I'm about to have to watch my salt intake closely to prevent ovarian hyperstimulation sydrome.

We spent the afternoon in IVF injection class. Although we already knew that five of the meds must be injected, dh and I were still horrified by the sight of the progesterone needle. I knew it was an inch and a half long, but seeing the needles in reality is scary. I've gained 8 pounds over the last few months, which I haven't been too concerned about since I considered it padding for the PIO shots. Of course, all of the extra weight is in the wrong place, and after checking out the proper injection site for the IM PIO needles dh is freaking out because he doesn't think there is enough padding for an inch and a half long needle. His reaction brought back my memories of a nurse who was concerned about where she was going to put the PIO needle two and a half years ago when the OB/GYN was trying to get my body to begin ovulating again after six months of Lupron.

Dh has asked if the nurse can call in a prescription of Xanax for him to quell his anxiety when it's time to do the PIO shots.

I'm getting increasingly worried about how all of this is going to go. I started bcps today.

And, is it a bad sign when you are due to start Lupron injections on Friday 13th?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Jen. Where are you in the process now? *Crossing everything*

karen/cheeky/naked ovary

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home