Sunday, September 25, 2005

Mini Van Doors Aren't Necessarily Safe

I have tried to be less exasperated with mini vans as of late. I will admit I've found the typical antics of mini van drivers in my area somewhat more tolerable since getting a BFP. I will even admit that the thought occured to me that sliding doors on mini vans could in fact be a good thing, because hopefully they prevent children from dinging the doors of other vehicles in today's substandard parking spaces.

Well, I learned this week that they don't.

I was trying to get out of my vehicle at school with everything needed for the day: purse, lunch bag, school bag, and a glass panel of butterflies. Note: I was very afraid something would happen to the delicate glass panel of assorted butterflies. I kind of feel guilty for even having it, but I certainly don't want it to be broken at school.

I have hall duty on Friday mornings, requiring that I get to school extra early. This isn't always easy in traffic with a 15 mile one-way commute. However, I thought that I was at least entitled to park with an empty space between me and the next vehicle so that I could take a minute to unload some of my stuff onto my left arm, which was hanging out of my door, without being cramped between another vehicle considering our tiny parking spaces. Well, I was wrong.

Before I could pick everything up, a blue mini van tried to zoom into the empty space, miraculously stopping before taking off my door. So, I closed my door three-fourths of the way to allow the van entrance to the space, somewhat begrudgingly. Of course, the van parks crooked without bothering to correct. Since I was barely going to get to duty on time, and I almost had everything, I thought I would at least be allowed to exit my vehicle. No.

I get out of my vehicle, barely opening the door a third of the way so as to not strike to poorly parked mini van....

The mini van door opens, hits my car door, which bumps my bags, which painfully slam into my stomach, and finally jostles my butterfly panel. Needless to say I was ticked. I managed to get my door closed, thankfully noticing that it didn't appear to be damaged. I walk across the parking lot, finally deciding to throw a "steely" look over my shoulder. OMG, it was another school employee and her child who is in one of my classes. Note: she does not have duty, ever. She did mutter a feeble apology, and looked somewhat abashed.

What a start to the day. Is it to much to ask as a teacher to just be allowed a minute to unload? I imagine the baby was well insulated from the action. The butterfly panel survived, but after I use it with my class tomorrow it will not be going back to school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home