Sunday, October 09, 2005

It's a...

We had our big ultrasound this week. Dh was able to leave a little early for work in order to come to the appointment, which was exciting since dh hasn't been able to be at an ultrasound since the one at 7 weeks in the REs office. Since he started a new job this summer, we have been trying to conserve his vacation days for after the baby's birth. However, since no one else had booked an u/s at my doctor's office on 10/5, I was able to book the latest appointment possible. For once, it was nice to have appointments for the day booked around my schedule, and I suppose it couldn't have happened on a more important day.

Fortunately, the ultrasound tech was running late, because traffic in this area has been horrendous since Katrina. To make matters worse, road construction was being done in front of the hospital where dh works. Dh called to tell me that it just didn't look like he was going to make it to the appointment on time, since he works an hour away from home. I attempted to reassure him by telling him that the office is always behind schedule.

Thankfully, he arrived ten minutes before I was called back for the ultrasound. The technician always has the screen turned directly at her at first, and I can't see what is going on. However, dh was able to position himself where he could watch the screen the entire time. Of course, the baby has grown so much and developed so many new skills since 7 weeks. During the entire ultrasound, dh had the sweetest smile on his face as he watched our little one kick and flip in a wave on continuous motion. It's amazing how active the tiny tyke is when I rarely feel movement.

As much as dh wanted the gender of our baby to be a surprise, I believe he was resigned to the fact that I had to know. After all, we had waited more than three years for that very moment, and I wanted to decorate a nursery in colors other than yellow and green. Apparently our baby is not shy or modest at this time, since she was often wagging her behind in front of the screen.

So, yes, we are expecting a little girl! Now dh and I just have to agree on a middle name that will go well with Anastasia. I am thrilled!

My sister has a daughter who will turn six months old next week, so our daughters will only be about ten months apart. I am excited about the possibility that they could be close, especially since Anastasia is likely to be an only child. My parents are thrilled because they have only had girls, and now they will have another little princess to spoil. Little did I know that Anastasia is a family name on my father's side, so he just seems so pleased with our choice. Dh's parents are excited because there has never been a girl in their family. And my MIL's best friend is also expecting a granddaughter a week before us. I can already imagine them shopping together.

My SIL B and I went to Babies R Us yesterday. Dh was on call, and he's kept on the phone too much to really go anywhere until late Saturday afternoon. I was pleased that my sister and BIL were able to stop in for about 30 minutes to answer some practical questions I came up with while looking. I've narrowed down the list of items to look at for Anastasia to just a few choices in each category. I'm sure dh will stop by Babies R Us with me soon so we can make final decisions. I'm now so excited about preparing the nursery that I can hardly sleep.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh- since your last comment was about Chinese sex blogging (um, okay...) and not about Baby A., let me be the first to congratulate you. I am so happy for you. We found out the sex with our son and I'm glad we did- it makes it easier to decorate and plan, and after all the unknowns of IF, I needed to know as much as I could.

I am so happy for you. Have fun with the rest of the Babies R Us registering.

10:30 AM  
Blogger BabyonBored said...

Congrats!! I have a girl too and it's so fun. I love the name Anastasia too. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. It must be such a relief to be having a baby. But now you'll have to change the name of your blog!

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home