Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Discouraging First Ultrasound

I'm very discouraged by my u/s today. I have five follicles growing on my right and two, that we could see, growing on the left. They are between 10 and 14 mm. I had hoped that perhaps my meds would be increased and maybe a few more follicles would join the party. The only good news is that my lining supposedly looks good and already measures 8mm.

Well, I just received my call back, and the protocol is remaining the same: one amp of Gonal-F in the morning and a half of an amp in the evening. I am still doing 5 units of Lupron. Wednesday night we switch from half an amp of Gonal-F to half an amp of Pergonal. Then Thursday morning I only do half an amp of Gonal-F and come in for another ultrasound.

I made a comment about how my left ovary is so hard to see well on u/s and expressed concerns about retrieval. The u/s tech then said that I would have a difficult retrieval. [:(]

I just feel like my RE has been too conservative. I was basically on this same dosage of meds for my second Gonal-F IUI cycle. I only made five mature follicles that cycle, so I don't know why the dr wouldn't push at least a little bit harder for an IVF cycle.

I'm seriously considering the possibility of cancelling this cycle myself. This cycle could very well be my only chance. I don't live in a state that provides an sort of IVF coverage, and on a teacher's salary there's no way that I can afford another cycle. The only slim hope I have is that my dh is considering a job in Florida, and supposedly there is a bill there that would mandate the coverage of a single IVF by any insurance company that covers prenatal care. (This is a no brainer to me. In fact, I think that nationwide insurance companies should have to cover a first IVF and then a second IVF if the first one doesn't work. After all, the average couple has two children. Why should the infertile couple not receive coverage of more than one IVF? Could you see insurance changing its mind and covering prenatal care for only one pregnancy, since it is supposedly so expensive?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home