Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Anastasia's First Month

Yesterday, Anastasia turned one month old. I can hardly believe it. This first month has been a roller coaster ride full of highs and lows. (Once again, Blogger isn't working well and I can't make paragraphs!) The big summary of the highs is just enjoying Anastasia day by day. Listening to her coos. Watching her stretch. Seeing her put her two hands together perfectly for the first time. Watching her face light up when she smiles. Seeing her in the nursery we have spent so much time preparing for her. Seeing her in a new outfit. Watching the look of interest on her face when she hears music. Snuggling Anastasia, since she just wants to be held all the time when she is awake. The summary of the lows is that Anastasia has had a lot of health problems this month. I suspect that what her pediatrician claimed was a blocked tear duct was actually an eye infection because her eye goo was green and it didn't get better until I filled the prescription that the pediatrician indicated I may not even need. Anastasia isn't gaining weight as quickly as she should; it took three weeks for her to get back to her birth weight. At her two week appointment her pediatrician heard a heart murmur and we made an appointment to see a pediatric cardiologist. The pediatric cardiologist also heard a murmur, so she ordered an echocardiogram, which was tough to do since it requires keeping a baby still to get the pictures. Our little girl has a tiny hole in between the atrial chambers of her heart, which should heal on its own but could take months or even years. Today though, we seem to be having a high day. Anastasia actually managed a couple of hours of quiet wakefulness, which beats the days she feels she must be held every minute she's awake. I was able to eat breakfast without hearing constant screams. It was great to be able to play with her. Now, she just woke up from a nap without screaming. She is in her pink bouncy seat without screaming. What a lovely morning! Is this a sign that my little girl is growing up? (An additional high: I checked the baby registry to make sure no one had purchased her swing yet, because I feel like it's time for her to have it. OMG, someone purchased the $140 Fisher Price Baby Papasan swing for her. Definitely one of those "Thank you! Thank you!" moments... I suspect BIL bought it for her. I can't wait until it gets here, and I'm just so hoping that she will enjoy it.)

1 Comments:

Blogger ezri.blue said...

Congratulations!! :)

My daughter was born on February 7th as well, and much like yours, I'm finding that she prefers to be cuddled when she's awake as well.

And I hope she loves her swing whenever she gets it :)

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home