Saturday, October 02, 2004

Weekend Test of Patience

Ugh! I had been looking forward to the weekend all week long since dh was working the crazy west coast support shift and not getting home until 11 p.m. I had forgotten about the torture I was going to be subjected to this weekend. My uncle and aunt, who are in their very late 30s, are here with their close to one year old son. OMG, I am already sick of listening to my sister ask pregnancy related questions. They brought her the book "What to Expect When You're Expecting," and gave it to her right in front of me. (It didn't help that a copy of What to Expect When You're Not Expecting is currently being shipped to me.) I could have just cried. It doesn't help that they showed such obvious favoritism toward my younger sis by choosing her to be the godmother last year.
Honestly, everyone else in my family is uberfertile, and it's like I am singlehandedly the balance pulling my families fertility record back to the national average.
My new cousin is the sweetest baby ever, and so far I have loved being around him, even though dh and I really should have a baby that age now. It just hurts because there is so much pregnancy related talk when I am there, and there is no way I can be included.
Not to mention that my sister brought the topic of how she isn't getting along with her mother in law, and when I asked a nonchalant question my dad stepped in and said it was best not to talk about that. It would be nice if they cared equally about my feelings.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, Jen... is this supposed to be a supportive website (the fun never ends with comments to your last post!)? If I were you, I'd consider moving to friendlier waters! It amazes me that total strangers are so interested in what other people write online! The comments to your blog seem like thinly veiled attacks. So what if your bio says what it does, you don't deserve people coming out of the woodwork to castigate you! There has got to be a better blogsite where you can get away from the trolls.

Thanks for the kind words, I pulled away from the 'boards' because I was swimming in self doubt and didn't want my negativity to get annoying! Both pregnancy loss and IF leaves an etch on your soul and takes away your innocence of being pregnant without worry. I thank my lucky stars every day about DS but I still mourn my losses, it never really goes away. I imagine that the emotions of IF never go away either.

I'm sorry that you had a rough weekend, insensitivity really sucks. FWIW there are a whole lot of people who do care about your feelings.

Lindsay aka lfmurphy

5:52 AM  
Blogger akeeyu said...

Hey Tiger,

I'm sorry your family is...what's the PC term? Sensitivity Challenged? Brain Impaired? Jerks? No, wait. Jerks isn't PC. Eh.

I really feel you on this one, hon. All of my female inlaws have kids, and every visit over there turns into a "my labor was so long..." "my stretchmarks are so..." "the kids are so..." one-up-manship contest. This AFTER Sam took his family aside, explained about the Endo and infertility crap, and politely asked them to be a little more sensitive. Hahahaha.

I thought I was going crazy and being too sensitive, and then, finally, it happened. Another mother was over at the house and commented to Sam that "...all they ever talk about over here is babies, babies, babies. What gives with that?"

We're not crazy. We're not oversensitive. It's not US! It's them!

Just keep repeating that, the next time you're over there:

"I am NOT the crazy one, here."

Hang in there. I'm sorry your blog keeps attracting butthole trolls, btw.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home